Monday 7 March 2022

Still here!

 Hadn't realised how long it had been since I posted on this blog! Sorry for the silence. I guess it would be disingenuous of me to claim the silence was 'very zen'...

A couple of us were away in Norwich on a weekend retreat this past weekend, and it was great to sit with a mix of old hands and some people completely new to the practice. What a way to start Zen practice! It was also wonderful that some of the people there had been sitting with us online during the lockdown, and this was the first time they'd been able to physically sit with others. A deep bow to them, and a sincere thanks to Shinro Sensei for leading a great weekend (and also to Stephan for the amazing meals he provided throughout). 

It brought back to me what a central place meditation has in my life, and deepened my appreciation for the practice. So, if you're thinking of coming along to join us, let me encourage you to take that step. We're still here!

Talking of 'Still' - a quote in my inbox today:

Most of us rush through our days driven by impatience, ambition, or fear. We move faster and faster in our constant effort to do more, acquire more, experience more—even as we buckle under the weight of all the things we need to accomplish in order to “make it.” Why be content, our culture demands, when we can be successful? Stress has become our baseline; calm is a luxury to buy at a spa or meditation retreat. Yet throughout history there have always been seekers who’ve known that our harried way of living is not inevitable. They are those for whom stillness is a right, a necessity, a refuge.

 Vanessa Zuisei Goddard, Still Running: The Art of Meditation in Motion

 Have a wonderful week.

Sign reading "I'm still here"


No comments:

Post a Comment