Monday 9 May 2016

A trip to Leicester

Logo of the Theosophical Society
Many people went to Leicester on Saturday last week. Most of them were headed for the football grounds, of course, as the local team's surprise win  of an historic upset season in the Premier League climaxed with the presentation of the League trophy after their 3-1 victory over Everton (sorry, Blues!).

To be honest, the folk I was visiting weren't really that into the football! I had the great pleasure of spending the afternoon with the Leicester Theosophical Society, having been invited by their Chairman, John Holden. The Theosophists hold that no one religion holds all the answers, and my experience of them both this weekend and before has been that they're an open-minded and warm bunch.

I was invited to do an afternoon exploration of Zen - a three-hour session! Fortunately of course I didn't have to come up with a three-hour talk or anything, just do an orientation and dive in with some zazen, kin-hin and a chanting of the Heart Sutra and the Identity of Relative and Absolute. Those attending got absolutely stuck in and gave it a whole-hearted effort. I finished with a talk around two Japanese words that for me truly embody the spirit of zazen: hishiryo (non-thinking) and mushotoku (no gain). The universe provided a third word - during the talk, Odin loudly accompanied me (as John Holden put it!) in the sound of rolling thunder. Perhaps I should have just shut up and let the thunder have its say...

One of the members in particular should be singled out - Joe Moore (who I think may have been instrumental in my invitation). Joe previously lived in Liverpool and sat with the then Liverpool Zen Group for some years... some of the 'older' members will remember him, and he asked me to send along his best wishes.

Thanks to John and the members and guests of the Leicester Theosophical Society who made me feel very welcome indeed.


No comments:

Post a Comment